Premise: Initial Ideas

After speaking with Alan and Justin in regards to the Premise project, I’ve come to the realisation that I wanted to make my project character based, as I would like to see myself as a Character Designer, or Character Design Artist, after graduation. 

I initially had an idea, relating to something personal for me, about someone being chased by a monster but then making peace with it. I’m not completely set on this idea as of yet, however I’m having a little difficulty coming up with something that’s not too generic. 

I was advised to look at my surroundings in my day-to-day life, and take what I see as some inspiration for my project, perhaps create sentences and keywords that I could refer to. Another approach mentioned was to ask myself a ‘what if’ question and play on the ideas.

The other day, as I was taking a walk, I saw some kids in my local park playing pretend together. It got me thinking of how I used to play pretend with my toys. I would dream up a world of fantasy with princesses and dragons. Fairytales and mythology have always been one of my favourite genres, so I thought perhaps I could make an project based on kids playing pretend, almost like a typical fable where the kids pretend they’re knights on a quest for the ‘holy grail’. I also considered asking myself, ‘what if the princess saves the day?’. Perhaps she saves the prince or princess, or even saves the endangered dragon from being slain.

These aren’t completely concrete ideas, so I still need to work on them more, but I wanted to write them down so I could think out loud and refer back to them as and when. I am also planning on doing some research on the role of a Character Designer in the creative industry and compiling it in to a document so I have a better understanding of their creative process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project: The "What If" Metropolis - Travelogue

Film Review: The Incredibles (2004) - The Hero's Journey Archetypes

Film Review: Disney’s Hercules (1997) - The Hero’s Journey