Character Design: Setting the Scene

For today's character session, we started exploring how films are laid out and what different types of shots they use, and what kind of atmosphere each creates.

Our first task was to choose a scene from a film that we liked and roughly storyboard the shots the scene used. I decided to choose Disney's Big Hero 6 because I think that this particular film has beautiful visuals and a lot of intimate scenes.

We were then each given an environment to use as the settign for a chase scene. I was given a Hospital, so I considered creating a chase scene about a patient that really didn't want to get a flu jab because they have a fear of needles. I wanted to keep it ambiguous because then it will emphasise the comedic value if, say, the doctor appeared quite ominous.


After that, I then carried on with my character project. I created a rough expression sheet for my aristocratic character, and managed to do a couple of thumbnails for the environment. I have an idea for what my characters look like, so I now need to focus on the story itself.

Comments

  1. Those environment pictures are great Chelsea :) and good work on the storyboard, it flowed nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project: The "What If" Metropolis - Travelogue

Film Review: The Incredibles (2004) - The Hero's Journey Archetypes

Film Review: Disney’s Hercules (1997) - The Hero’s Journey