Premise: Influence Maps and Story Ideas


After speaking with my tutors, Alan and Justin, it was discussed that for this project I could do a continuation of my Character Design project. I really enjoyed this idea as I had a lot of fun with my Character project and wanted to develop it further. To begin with, I quickly made some influence maps to remind myself of where I want to go with this animation.


I was advised to look at Disney’s Paperman (2012) in regards to animation style. I also want to incorporate the Art Nouveau style as well, so it will be interesting to see how that will translate in to 3D animation. I also added in some images from Disney’s Enchanted (2007) as I liked the colours and art style in the animated segments of the film.


In regards to the story of my animation, it will be a romantic piece set in 1920’s Paris, France. It’s about two lovers of different social status who meet and fall in love, but one of them meets a tragic fate and passes away. The animation will be about how they overcome all boundaries to be with each other, even if one of them is a ghost.

However, this story is a bit complex and so the challenge now is to see how I can put all of this information into an animated short. Condensing the entire story may detract from the strong emotions that I want to portray, so I’m considering on just animating a few significant scenes, namely the meeting of the two lovers after the passing of one of them. I also want to incorporate some ‘flashback’ scenes of how the relationship between the lovers developed. I’m now going to put these ideas in to some storyboards and see how they translate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project: The "What If" Metropolis - Travelogue

Film Review: The Incredibles (2004) - The Hero's Journey Archetypes

Film Review: Disney’s Hercules (1997) - The Hero’s Journey